Skip to main content

Welcome to the

City of Potlatch, Idaho

COMMUNITY EVENTS
HOME
BUILDING PERMITS
BUSINESS DIRECTORY
CEMETERY
CHURCHES
CITY INFORMATION
CONTACT US
DRIVING DIRECTIONS
ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT
EMERGENCY NUMBERS
LIBRARY
LINKS
NEWSLETTERS
ONLINE UTILITY PAYMENTS
POOL
POTLATCH FAMILY CARE
POTLATCH FOOD PANTRY
POTLATCH RECREATION DIST.
REGIONAL INFORMATION
SCENIC 6 RV PARK
SCHOOLS
7-12 AFTER-SCHOOL PROGRAM
THINGS TO DO . . .
VENUES TO RENT
WEATHER
Regional Information
 
                                                          
 
   HARVARD:A Washington, Idaho & Montana railroad station nine miles east of Potlatch, platted and dedicated May 28, 1906. Named by Homer W. Canfield, who owned much land along WI&M location. For his cooperation during construction, the Company proposed to honor him by naming the station Canfield. He did not consent to the proposal, but assumed that he could choose a name; he chose Harvard. This set the pattern for college names along the line.
 
     From A to Z in Latah County, Idaho by Lalia Phipp Boon
 
 
   ONAWAY:Incorporated town just NE of Potlatch. Formerly Bulltown, for the pioneer Bull family. Onaway was a stage stop on the Wells Fargo line from Palouse to Grizzle Camp in the 1880s. The town ceased to thrive after Potlatch was established as a company town.
 
     From A to Z in Latah County, Idaho by Lalia Phipp Boon
 
 
   PRINCETON:  Princeton was founded in 1896 and named by Orville Clough, prominent lumber man and donor of the school site, for his hometown of Princeton, Minnesota.  One of eight WI&M railroad stations bearing the names of colleges, one of two not named by college students, four miles east of Potlatch.

    When construction on the WI&M began, Princeton was already a town with a Post Office, Hotel, Store, Livery Stable, Blacksmith Shop, two saloons and a Stage Stop for the Palouse-Hoodoo stagecoach. It had started as a convenient stopping place during the mining boom, the placering by the Chinese, and the Hoodoos in the mid 1870's.  The Princeton Post Office opened April 18, 1894.                                                   

      From A to Z in Latah County, Idaho by Lalia Phipp Boone